Academic Center for Excellence
The Academic Center for Excellence (ACE) is here to help students maximize their potential. We can help you design your approach to learning to get the most out of your academic experience at Salve Regina. We provide free peer tutoring, peer writing support and peer academic coaching, among other services and resources. Make an appointment today.
Leverage tools and resources
ACE offers a variety of face-to-face and virtual resources, workshops and services to support effective studying. Our Learning and Study Strategies page offers tips for all kinds of learners, whether you’re attending class in person or remotely.
Engage in collaborative learning
- ACE provides peer tutoring appointments that support students at all skill levels to achieve academic success.
- Peer subject tutors review content and provide specific study strategies for courses in many disciplines. Support is available virtually and face-to-face in some cases. Tutors are expert learners who can also help you navigate within your major.
- Peer Writing Center consultants help with every phase of the writing process from brainstorming to revision, no matter a student’s ability or skill level. We provide live virtual consultations and offer asynchronous feedback on your writing.
- The embedded tutoring partners program supports specific courses. The focus is on collaboration, group study and interaction among students. The program provides regularly scheduled peer-led study sessions focused on course content or writing. The program is offered in a hybrid format, with both virtual and face-to-face options, depending on the course.
Ask for support
Peer coaches help empower you to reach your academic goals. Sessions may cover time management, note-taking, textbook literacy and more. Most sessions are virtual. Peer coaches are trained and supervised by professional learning specialists and advisors.
Recover after academic setbacks
ACE offers an academic recovery plan to help students with academic warnings return to good standing.
If you have questions about majors, courses, departments or academic programs from the student perspective, we can connect you with “expert learners” who are trained and supervised by professional learning specialists and advisors. They are typically juniors and seniors who serve as an informal resource to help you navigate your major and connect you with faculty and other useful services on campus to help you make the most of your Salve Regina experience.
The Academic Center for Excellence supports the development of undergraduate students at Salve Regina through peer-to-peer consultations, mentorship, resources, workshops and community-oriented programs. We work with students of all majors and skill levels at every phase of the learning process. Our close community of highly trained tutors aims to foster students’ growth, independence, and confidence in their learning. In addition, we strive to provide Salve Regina faculty with teaching resources and professional development opportunities to support learning across the curriculum.
Our core beliefs:
- All learners should be treated with dignity, no matter their background or ability
- Learning is unique to each individual learner and varies by context
- Every student has the capacity to take charge of their own intellectual growth
- Self-awareness and self-advocacy are integral parts of learning
- Peer-assisted learning provides the opportunity for students to learn from the lived academic experiences of others
- Learning is a lifelong process
- Peer consultant training and learning support practices should be grounded in anti-racist, anti-oppressive pedagogies