Study Abroad - Requirements and Eligibility
Requirements and Eligibility
The preferred semester to study abroad varies by academic program. Please review the deadlines and eligibility requirements listed below to determine your ability to participate in an academic experience abroad. You should also work with your faculty advisor to review your academic plan and choose the best semester to study abroad.
You must submit an online application through ViaTRM, which includes a goal statement, resume, a copy of your passport (if available) and two letters of recommendation. See the Steps to Studying Abroad page for more information.
- Fall semester or academic year: March 15.
- Spring semester: Oct. 1. (Select programs have an application deadline prior to Oct. 1. Refer to each program page in ViaTRM for specifics.)
- Short-term programs: Deadlines vary. See the Short-Term Programs page for more information.
General Eligibility Requirements
For any study abroad program – short-term, semester or academic year – you must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.7 and be in good academic and disciplinary standing. Students with minor disciplinary infractions may be conditionally accepted at the discretion of the director of the Center for Global Education and Fellowships.
- Some programs have a GPA requirement higher than 2.7. This should be considered when selecting a program.
- Students with a GPA below 2.7 will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- If you fall out of good academic or disciplinary standing at any time prior to going abroad, your approval to study abroad may be revoked.
Semester/Academic Year Eligibility Requirements
You can initiate an application for a semester or academic year (fall and spring semester) abroad at any time. Please note that applications will only be considered once you have attained second-semester sophomore standing (at least 24 completed credits with 12-15 credits in progress) prior to your desired study abroad program.
You are required to take a full course load (at least 12 U.S. credits) during each semester abroad. You should ensure that the courses you take abroad will satisfy requirements toward your Salve Regina degree. Most students take a combination of elective and major courses while studying abroad.
Short-Term Eligibility Requirements
If you cannot spend a semester or academic year abroad, we encourage you to take advantage of short-term opportunities offered during break periods. Short-term study abroad programs are open to all students who meet the general eligibility requirements, regardless of class standing.