Study Abroad

Salve Regina encourages students to study abroad for a semester or year in preparation for working and living in an interdependent world. Most students find that foreign study enhances their education immensely. In addition, employers and graduate schools often look for people who have skills sharpened by study abroad, such as independence, flexibility and broad-mindedness.

The Office of International Programs provides advising and assistance to Salve Regina students who wish to study abroad. In addition to administering short-term programs led by Salve Regina faculty, we support study abroad through affiliate programs providers and partner universities, as well as exchange programs.

When Can I Study Abroad?

To apply for semester or yearlong programs, students are required to:

  • Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.70
  • Have completed their sophomore year, have junior standing and have declared a major
  • Meet requirements prescribed by the faculty and implemented by the Office of International Programs

Academic prerequisites and standards may vary for individual universities abroad.

Students who cannot spend a semester or year abroad can take advantage of several short-term study abroad opportunities offered during the summer break, the January intersession and spring break. Short-term study abroad programs are open to all students regardless of class standing.

Study Abroad FAQ

I am interested in study abroad. What do I do next?

The Office of International Programs in the Gatehouse oversees the study abroad process. Click here for our 10 steps to studying abroad.

Are there special prerequisites or requirements? Do I need to speak a foreign language?

Salve Regina and the Office of International Programs require students to complete our application process. Once approved by Salve Regina, students can then apply to the program abroad. Most of the time students do not need to speak a foreign language, but this depends on the program. If the program’s primary goal is language acquisition, lower levels of language preparation are considered standard. It is better to have some prior knowledge of the host country language prior to departure.

What paperwork will I need to complete in order to participate in a program abroad?

Students must first complete the Salve Regina application. Students approved by Salve Regina must then apply to the program abroad. Application procedures may vary based on the type of program offered. For example, a resume is necessary when applying for an internship abroad, while students applying to an art program need to submit a portfolio.

How are academic credits earned if I am abroad?

All credits are approved by faculty and staff prior to the study abroad experience. Grades will come in from abroad as "A" through "F" as appropriate and will be factored into the cumulative GPA. Students should consult with their advisers to determine the applicability of credits earned abroad to their major, minor, Core Curriculum and elective courses. Students should select alternate backup courses in the event that they find changes in course offerings after arriving overseas. In addition, students who participate in a Salve Regina study abroad program may also take up to three transfer courses from other institutions.

What costs are associated with study abroad?

The cost of a summer, semester or year abroad varies based on program fees, location, and each student's individual financial aid package. Salve Regina uses a Home School Tuition Policy. This means that students are required to pay regular Salve Regina tuition directly to the University as well as a $550 study abroad fee, but pay all other fees such as housing, meals, etc., directly to the program. These other fees vary by program, location and length of study. Please use our budget sheet to estimate your total expenses for the abroad semester.

Does my financial aid package apply to the costs of the program?

Yes. Students receiving financial aid at Salve Regina may be able to apply some of their financial aid to the study abroad program. Students should meet with a financial aid adviser during the application process to review their package.

Are any scholarships available?

The Office of International Programs offers scholarships each semester to help offset travel expenses. In addition to these scholarships, many others are available online. Certain program providers, such as Australearn and Academic Programs International, offer their own scholarships as well. Students are encouraged to get creative and ask their family and friends for airline miles, fundraise in their community and ask their parish for donations. Scholarships are one way to fund the study abroad experience; however they are minor and are to be looked at as a supplement to payment. International Programs staff members hold financial planning workshops for interested students. Be sure to come into the Gatehouse for further details.

Do you have evaluations or comments from students who have participated? Is there a way I can talk to students who have returned?

Yes. The Office of International Programs conducts assessments throughout the year in the form of surveys and focus groups. We can connect interested students with past participants of their program.

Where will I live? Where will classes be offered?

Students are housed in dormitories, apartments or home stays based on the program and location. Classes will be offered at the host university or program center based on the abroad program or location.

What support services are available on site once I am abroad?

Support staff will be available 24/7. Support staff at universities and program centers abroad act very much like an American residence life staff. On-site orientation is provided and resident directors and assistants are on hand to answer academic, personal questions. Students who are accepted into programs abroad will be able to contact on-site staff with any questions or concerns prior to departure.

Does the school have an emergency plan?

All programs are equipped with emergency plans that cover medical needs, natural disaster or acts of terrorism and/or violent crimes. Students should ask program providers about their emergency plans in advance and get 24/7 contact numbers for program providers abroad (Salve Regina will provide our Office of Safety and Security number in pre-departure materials). The Office of International Programs is in contact with staff at these sites in the event of an emergency, at home or abroad. Effective and timely communications between students, parents, home and host institutions and/or third party providers is a reasonable expectation. However, we cannot absolutely guarantee your safety while abroad.

Will I need a visa?

Depending on the destination country, students may or may not need a visa. Individual consulates change requirements frequently. Once students are approved for a program they may contact either their local consulate or the Gatehouse staff for more information.

Where can I find more information about the destination where I will be studying?

Students are encouraged to conduct their own research using country websites and guidebooks.

I’m a faculty member. How do I learn about leading a short-term program?

The Office of International Programs (OIP), in partnership with Salve Regina's academic departments and faculty, facilitates and develops study abroad programs for students in support of the University's strategic goal of "fostering a diverse, globally-aware and inclusive community" and academic vision. All of Salve Regina's credit-bearing programs abroad are administrated by the OIP. The OIP endeavors to uphold the Forum on Education Abroad's Standards of Good Practice for Short-Term Education Abroad Programs and the Code of Ethics for Education Abroad (copies available at the Gatehouse).