Campus Buildings

Our 80-acre campus is one of the most unique in the country, offering what the National Trust for Historic Preservation has described as a "tour of the great architectural works of the Gilded Age." Set on seven contiguous estates, it features more than 20 historic structures that have been sensitively adapted to meet University needs while also preserving their status as treasures of the 19th and early 20th centuries.

The ocean-side setting, however, offers more than a glimpse of the past. Surrounded by rare trees, tide pools and museums, our campus provides access to exceptional learning opportunities for students in many disciplines. Viewed as a "living laboratory," our campus is an extraordinary environment that enriches the city of Newport and contributes to the artistic, cultural, economic, educational and historical vitality of the state of Rhode Island.

First Year Housing

Hunt Hall

Built by Salve Regina in 1987, Hunt Hall accommodates sophomore students. Each floor is co-ed by room, with a laundry room on the first floor. Designed by the architectural firm of Robinson Green Beretta, Hunt Hall reflects the Queen Anne style common to many houses in the area. The hall is named for Andrew Hunt, former Board of Trustees chairman.

Miley Hall

A traditional residence hall, Miley Hall also houses the cafeteria, bookstore and offices for the Center for Student Development, Counseling Services, Health Services and Student Affairs. Students are housed on three floors, with males on the first floor and females on the second and third floors.

Reef Hall

Built by Salve Regina in 1987, Reefe Hall accommodates first-year students. Each floor is co-ed by room, with a laundry room on the first floor. Designed by the architectural firm of Robinson Green Beretta, Reefe Hall reflects the Queen Anne style common to many houses in the area. The hall is named for Salve Regina alumna Jean Bryson Reefe ’69 and her husband, Donald.

Walgreen Hall

Opened in 2003, Walgreen Hall accommodates first-year students in suite-style living arrangements and also contains a wing dedicated to administrative office space for Career Development, Multicultural Affairs and Residence Life. Housing up to 11 students, each suite in Walgreen Hall shares a bathroom. All floors are co-ed by suite, and residents share the laundry room with Miley Hall.

Upperclassmen Housing

134 Webster St.

134 Webster St., the former carriage house and stables for several Ochre Point estates, accommodates 19 students in apartment-style housing. Built in the 1890s, 134 Webster features a mix of singles, doubles and quads.

204 Ruggles Ave.

20 Ruggles Ave., a clapboard, mansard-roofed house built in 1890, accommodates seven students. Acquired by Salve Regina in 2007, the four-bedroom home includes one single and three doubles.

26 Lawrence Ave.

26 Lawrence Ave., a shingled ranch house built in 1953, accommodates eight students. Acquired by Salve Regina in 2009, the five-bedroom home includes three singles, one double and one triple.

74 Victoria Ave.

74 Victoria Ave., a shingled ranch house built in 1955, accommodates five students. Acquired by Salve Regina in 2003, the three-bedroom home includes one single and two doubles.

80 Victoria Ave.

80 Victoria Ave., a shingled ranch house built in 1952, accommodates five students. Acquired by Salve Regina in 1998, the three-bedroom home includes one single and two doubles.

87 Victoria Ave.

87 Victoria Ave., a brick ranch house built in 1890, accommodates 10 students. Acquired by Salve Regina in 2008, the five-bedroom home includes one single, three doubles and one triple.

Carnlough Cottage

Carnlough Cottage serves as the Language House living learning community, which provides students with a French or Spanish immersion experience while living on campus. The five-bedroom home accommodates 10 students.

Carolyn House

Carolyn House, the former carriage house for the Ochre Lodge estate, accommodates 14 students in seven double rooms. The property was given to Salve Regina in 1966 by Anita O'Keeffe Young, sister of American painter Georgia O'Keeffe.

Conley Hall

Conley Hall, located near campus on Gammell Road, accommodates 45 students in a mix of singles, doubles, triples and quads. Originally known as Faxon Lodge, Conley was built in 1903 for N.Y. stockbroker Frank Sturgis.

Fairlawn Apartments

Fairlawn Apartments accommodates 22 students in five apartments. Formerly the carriage house for Andrew Ritchie’s Fairlawn estate, the structure was designed by architect Seth Bradford and completed in 1853.

French Cottage

French Cottage, a historic home located on Ruggles Avenue, accommodates eight students in two doubles and one quad.

Founders Hall

Founders Hall accommodates 35 students in singles, doubles, triples and quads. Designed by the famed architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns, Founders was once the main residence for the Althorpe estate.

Graystone Cottages

Built in 2008, Graystone Cottages accommodates 40 students in apartment-style housing. Located on Lawrence Avenue, Graystone includes eight apartments featuring a mix of singles, doubles and triples.

Moore Hall

Moore Hall accommodates 35 students in singles, doubles, triples and one eight-person room. The historic home reflects the Queen Anne style, combining design details from the 17th and 18th centuries.

Narragansett Hall

Located on Narragansett Avenue, Narragansett Hall accommodates 44 students in a mix of singles, doubles, triples and quads. Built around 1860, the Colonial Revival home was designed by local architect George Champlin Mason.

Narragansett I and II

Located on Ward Avenue, Narragansett I and II are historic homes that accommodate 11 students in a mix of singles and doubles.

Nethercliffe

Nethercliffe accommodates 38 students in apartment-style housing, featuring singles, doubles, triples and one six-person room. The home was architect Richard Morris Hunt’s last Newport house designed in the Stick style.

Nethercliffe Carriage House

Nethercliffe Carriage House accommodates 13 students in apartment-style housing, featuring singles, doubles and triples. Completed in 1883, it was once part of the Nethercliffe estate.

Ochre Lodge

Ochre Lodge serves as the Multicultural House living learning community. Designed by renowned local architect Dudley Newton, this historic home accommodates 36 students in a mix of singles, doubles, triples and quads.

Stoneacre

Stoneacre accommodates 25 students in apartment-style housing. Completed in 1885, it was once the carriage house for the Stoneacre estate commissioned by N.Y. banker and railroad magnate John Ellis.

The Hedges

The Hedges accommodates 16 students in singles, doubles, triples and quads. Formerly the carriage house and stables for the Althorpe estate, it was designed by the famed architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns.

Wallace Hall

Wallace Hall, a Tudor Revival cottage completed in 1875, accommodates 52 students in a mix of singles, doubles, triples and quads. Wallace was once the carriage house and stables for the Fairholme estate.

William Watts Sherman House

One of the greatest treasures of Salve’s campus, William Watts Sherman House accommodates 81 students. Completed in 1875, it is one of America’s earliest examples of Queen Anne architecture.

Young Building

Young Building accommodates 50 students in the Pell Honors Program. The Queen Anne mansion once known as Fairlawn was commissioned by Boston lawyer Andrew Ritchie and designed by architect Seth Bradford.

Administrative Buildings

51 Shepard Ave.

51 Shepard Ave. houses the Office of Graduate Studies and Continuing Education. Built in 1950, the shingled cottage was acquired by Salve Regina in 2004.

54 East Bowery St.

54 East Bowery St. houses the offices and trade shops of the facilities department. After investing nearly three years and $2 million to purchase, cleanse and rebuild on the site of the former Lincourt Auto Body Shop, the University opened this shingle-style structure in 2003.

Munroe Center

Built in 1888, Munroe Center houses the Office of Information Technology. Conceptualized by Charles Eamer Kempe as the stables for the Wakehurst estate, this rusticated stone carriage house echoes the Gothic lines and English manor style of the estate's primary structure.

Ochre Court

Salve Regina's main administration building, Ochre Court houses the Office of the President, the Business Office and the offices of Undergraduate Admission, Financial Aid and the Registrar, among others. Concerts, lectures and special functions are held on the first floor throughout the year.

President's House

Formerly the carriage house and stables for William Watts Sherman's estate, this home has served as the president's residence since 1994. Designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson, this Queen Anne-style structure combines English, German and American Colonial influences.

Stonor/Drexel Halls

Stonor Hall and Drexel Hall are the former hennery and hen keeper's cottage for Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate. Stonor Hall houses the offices of Conferences and Events and Human Resources, while the Office of International Programs is located in Drexel Hall.

Tobin Hall

Tobin Hall houses the Office of Safety and Security. The former gardener's cottage for Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate, the property was named for two beloved former professors - Sister Mary Jean Tobin and Sister Mary Eloise Tobin.

Young Building

Young Building houses the Pell Center for International Relations and Public Policy and serves as a residence for students in the Pell Honors Program. Built during the development of Bellevue Avenue in the 1850s, the Queen Anne mansion was designed by architect Seth Bradford. 

Academic Buildings

162 Webster St.

162 Webster St. is home to the Department of Counseling, Leadership and Expressive Arts, including the holistic counseling and leadership, rehabilitation counseling, and expressive and creative arts programs.

Angelus Hall

Angelus Hall, the former carriage house for Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate, houses faculty offices and classrooms for the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance.

Antone Academic Center

The Antone Academic Center houses performance areas, studios, offices, classrooms and laboratories for several academic departments and programs, including art and art history, cultural and historic preservation, English and communications, and music, theatre and dance.

Casino Theatre

The recently restored Casino Theatre provides students with the opportunity to study all aspects of the theater from acting and directing to set design, lighting, and facility management. The theater also hosts music concerts and special events.

Center for Adult Education

Opened in 2012, the Center for Adult Education in Warwick, Rhode Island provides instructional, student and faculty space in a location convenient to students in Greater Providence. The center offers courses year-round in both the traditional classroom and hybrid formats.

Marian Hall

Marian Hall houses faculty offices for the Department of Philosophy and the Department of Religious and Theological Studies. Added to Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate in the early 1900s, the property was acquired by Salve Regina in 1955.

McAuley Hall

Having served the University as both residence hall and library, McAuley Hall now houses classrooms, academic departments and offices, including the Office of Academic Affairs. Salve Regina named the property in honor of Catherine McAuley, founder of the Sisters of Mercy.

McKillop Library

The McKillop Library is a state-of-the-art facility that holds approximately 150,000 volumes and also accommodates the University’s computer labs. The library’s spacious, comfortable atmosphere provides plenty of room for individual and group study.

Misto Gatehouse

The Misto Gatehouse houses the Office of Arts and Sciences. The former gardener's cottage for Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate, the property was acquired by Salve Regina in 1955. In 2014, it was named for Sister Leona Misto, the University's vice president for mission integration.

Conceptualized by the famed architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns, the deep red sandstone exterior matches that of the main house. Designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the structure's turrets, gables and wrought-iron lanterns presented a storybook welcome as guests entered the sweeping curve of Vinland's driveway.

O'Hare Academic Building

The O’Hare Academic Building houses classrooms, state-of-the-art laboratories, faculty offices, the Bazarsky Lecture Hall and Jazzman’s Cafe. Dedicated in 1968, the building is named for Sister Mary James O’Hare, the University’s first academic dean. Designed by architect E. James Kurtz, the O’Hare Academic Building depicts the geometric functionalism typical of post-World War II architecture. The building combines unadorned plate glass, industrial block and stainless steel in a grid pattern reminiscent of Bauhaus architecture. “The Vision of Pythagoras,” a bronze and stone sculpture created by Rhode Island artist William Paul Haas, sits on the building’s east terrace.

Student Buildings

Our Lady of Mercy Chapel

Our Lady of Mercy Chapel realizes the long-held dream of the many Sisters of Mercy who have served Salve Regina. Consecrated in 2010, the chapel offers regular services and allows graduates and community members to celebrate their weddings on campus in a religious setting.

Miley Hall

Miley Hall is a traditional corridor-style residence hall that accommodates first-year students and also houses the cafeteria, bookstore and offices for the Center for Student Development, Counseling Services, Health Services and Student Affairs.

Rodgers Recreation Center

Dedicated in 2000, the Rodgers Recreation Center houses the University's athletic and recreational facilities, including the gymnasium, fitness center, aerobics studio, training rooms and a Hall of Fame area. Conference rooms, offices and locker rooms are located throughout the facility.

Wakehurst

A hub for student activities, Wakehurst also houses classrooms and faculty offices. On the first floor is the Global Cafe and the fireplace lounge, where many campus events are held. The lower level is home to the bicycle loan program, student mailroom and a lounge.