If your first language or the primary language spoken in your home is not English, you must provide proof of English proficiency. Exceptions are made for students who have attended a school for three or more years where English is the language of instruction or by petitioning the Office of Admissions for a waiver.
English proficiency can be met with any of the following test scores:
- TOEFL iBT of 80 or higher
- IELTS of 6.5 or higher
- Duolingo English Test of 110 or higher
- PTE Academic of 53 or higher
- Cambridge English Examination of 180 or higher
- Common European Framework C1
- A score of 550 or higher on the SAT evidence-based reading and writing
Students with the following scores are eligible for admission with English for Academic Purposes:
- TOEFL iBT between 60 and 79
- IELTS of 6.0
- Duolingo English Test between 90 and 105
- PTE Academic between 46 and 52
- Cambridge English Examination between 160-179
- Common European Framework B2
English for Academic Purposes
If your English proficiency scores fall under the minimum for direct admission, you are still eligible for admission with English for Academic Purposes (EAP), which provides academic language and cultural support alongside University courses during the first two semesters.
EAP is not ESL or conditional admission. Students are fully admitted to the University and EAP courses earn credit toward their degree. There is no extra charge for EAP and students can work with their advisor to graduate on time.
International students applying to Salve Regina with English language test scores below qualifying standards, or with no scores submitted, can be considered for conditional admission provided they present an admissible academic record.
Students who are offered conditional admission must complete an approved ESL or pathway program or provide us with the required English proficiency scores necessary to qualify for EAP or for direct admission. When the condition is met, we will issue a new acceptance letter with enrollment documents.