Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

Human Resources

Health and Dental Insurance

Health care coverage is provided through Tufts Health Plan. Employees may enroll in the high-deductible Saver Plan with a health savings account, the PPO 250 Plan or the Closed PPO Plan. Dental benefits are provided through Delta Dental of Rhode Island. Vision benefits are administered through Delta Dental's DeltaVision alliance, which allows employees to enjoy the network and benefits of VSP with the convenience of administration by Delta Dental. For a complete list of coverage, refer to your summary plan descriptions.

Open enrollment is generally the first two weeks of November for a Jan. 1 effective date.

Generally, you can only add or drop health, dental and/or vision insurance coverage during the open enrollment period, which is usually the beginning of November for a Jan. 1 effective date. However, if a change in your or your spouse's employment or a change of family status (marriage, divorce, birth, adoption or death) occurs, coverage may be added or dropped during the plan year provided the request is made within 30 days of the change and provided we receive the appropriate paperwork from you.

For health, dental and vision insurance, dependent children may be covered until the end of the month they turn age 26.

You can check if your doctor and/or dentist is participating in our plans by visiting (search Carelink Network) and/or Since doctors may change participation, it is also a good idea to ask the office when scheduling your appointment if they participate in your health care or dental plan.

To add a new baby, call or stop by the Office of Human Resources within 30 days after the birth of your child to request and complete the appropriate paperwork. You will also need to present your child's birth certificate and have their social security number.

Yes, as a newly married employee, you may add your spouse to the University's health, dental and/or vision plans provided you notify the Office of Human Resources within 30 days of the date of marriage, provide a copy of the certified marriage certificate and complete new enrollment forms.

For employees leaving the University, health care coverage ends the last day of the month in which you last worked. Continuation coverage, at your cost for up to a period of 18 months, may be available under the COBRA law.

Life Insurance

For non-probationary employees working a minimum of 30 hours per week, the University provides life insurance in the amount of $50,000. The benefit is reduced to 65% at age 65 and 50% at age 70.

Yes. When you are first eligible for life insurance, you can elect to purchase additional coverage equal to another one, two, three or four times salary. The cost of this optional life insurance is determined according to your age and is paid through payroll deduction. If you decline optional life insurance when first eligible, you can apply to purchase it at a later date by completing an evidence of insurability form.

Yes, you may change your life insurance beneficiary at any time by completing a change of beneficiary form.


Employees must work 1,000 hours per year to be eligible to participate in the University's retirement plan. Students are not eligible to participate.

If you are an eligible employee, you may participate on the first day of the month after you fulfill the following requirements:

  • You complete one year of service at the University without a break in service. Years of service with any institution of higher education immediately prior to commencement of employment at Salve Regina will be counted for satisfying this requirement.
  • You attain age 21.

The University will notify you when you have completed the requirements needed to participate in the plan.

Currently, the University contributes 7% of base compensation with an additional 1% matching contribution.

You do not have to contribute to the University's retirement plan to receive the discretionary 7% contribution. However, a minimum 1% employee contribution is recommended to receive a matching 1% from the University (for a total of 8% from the University). Employee contributions to a supplemental retirement annuity are highly encouraged, but completely voluntary.

You may change the amount of your contribution at any time by completing a new salary reduction agreement form. Please note that the IRS limits the amount an individual can contribute per year. For 2022, the maximum deferral amount for individuals under age 50 is $20,500. Individuals over the age of 50 can contribute an additional $6,500. Call the Office of Human Resources at (401) 341-2332 for more information on these limits.

You may change the allocation of "future" money going into your account and/or you may transfer money already invested. Transfers may be done directly with TIAA by meeting with the company representative, over the phone or online.

If you decide to leave the University, you have several options:

  • You may leave the money invested with TIAA.
  • You may withdraw your money (subject to taxes and a 10 percent penalty if before age 59.5).
  • You may rollover your account balance into another qualified plan or IRA.

Dependent Care and Medical Reimbursement Accounts

The dependent care reimbursement plan is a flexible spending account that allows you to put aside pre-tax dollars for qualified expenses related to the care of your children age 12 and under and/or elderly or incapacitated dependents (such as custodial care for an elder). The plan allows you to receive payments on a tax-favored basis as you incur the expense rather than waiting each year until tax filing. The IRS limits the amount you can have withheld from your pay each year and lists "eligible expenses" that qualify for reimbursement. It is extremely important to estimate your plan year expenses carefully because of two other IRS rules: Your election is irrevocable for the plan year unless a change of status occurs and any money remaining in your account at the end of the plan year will be forfeited. Call the Office of Human Resources at (401) 341-2332 for a summary plan description.

The medical care reimbursement plan is a flexible spending account that allows you to put aside pre-tax dollars for "eligible" medical expenses. To be eligible for reimbursement, the medical expense must be incurred by you or an eligible dependent during the plan year, may not be reimbursable by any insurance or other source and constitute a deductible medical expense as defined by the IRS. Expenses such as deductibles, office visit copayments, prescription copayments, orthodontics and eyeglasses are eligible for reimbursement. The minimum amount you can have taken out of your pay (pre-tax) is $260 for the plan year, while the maximum amount is determined each year by the IRS. It is extremely important to estimate your plan year expenses carefully because the IRS imposes two rules. First, your election is irrevocable for the plan year unless a change of status occurs. Second, if you have money remaining in your account at the end of the plan year, only up to $100 can be rolled over provided you re-enroll. Call Benefit Strategies or the Office of Human Resources at (401) 341-2332 for a summary plan description.

You will receive a debit card to use and should set up an account at If you pay with cash and/or need to provide Benefit Strategies with a receipt, you can fax it to (603) 647-4668 or upload it online at or through their mobile application. For questions or assistance, call Benefit Strategies at (888) 401-3539.

Tuition Benefits and Tuition Exchange

If you are a non-probationary full- or part-time employee who works at least 1,000 hours per calendar year, you may be eligible for tuition benefits at Salve Regina. The benefit does not apply to special programs, institutes, individual instruction, directed or independent study, dual-degree programs at partner institutions, study abroad (except for dependents for a limited selection of programs at international institutions that have a formal exchange agreement with Salve Regina), MFA and doctoral courses and other courses offered outside the University catalog.

You may take up to two courses as a non-matriculated student. To receive tuition benefits for more than two courses, you must be formally accepted into a degree program and fully matriculated. For the benefit to continue, you must remain in good academic standing, as defined in the University catalog, and complete all prior University courses for which you are registered. You may receive tuition benefits for two courses during the fall and spring semesters and two courses during the summer. You must complete a tuition benefit form and pay the course registration fee (and any other applicable fees) each semester. You are responsible for any fees and for your own books.

No. Courses at other universities are not covered through our tuition benefit policy.

Full- and part-time employees who work at least 1,000 hours per calendar year and who have completed two years of continuous service with the University are eligible for 50% undergraduate tuition benefits for their dependents. After three years, the benefit increases to 100%.

Dependent children and spouses must apply to the University, be academically qualified, meet all admissions standards, be accepted and fully matriculated. Once enrolled, the student must remain in good academic standing. The benefit is limited to two dependents at a time. Students are allowed up to five 3- or 4-credit courses and two 1-credit courses each semester and 6 credits each summer session. Dependents must complete a tuition benefit form prior to registering for their classes and pay for any fees, books and room and board charges, if applicable.

Through the Tuition Exchange program, it is possible for a dependent child to receive a full scholarship at another participating institution. If you have three years of full-time service with the University, you can apply to send your dependent child to another participating college/university. Each college/university has its own selection/awarding criteria, so this is not a guaranteed benefit. For better acceptance possibilities, it is suggested that the student apply to several Tuition Exchange institutions.

Family and Medical Leave

Under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), you may be eligible for up to 13 weeks off for the birth of a child. To apply for the leave, you must submit a written request for FMLA benefits to your supervisor with a copy to the Office of Human Resources. The request should state the reason for the leave, anticipated start date for the leave and length requested.

Yes. For the birth of a child, a new parent may be eligible for up to 13 weeks of Family and Medical Leave (FMLA). To apply for FMLA, you should submit a written request for FMLA benefits to your supervisor with a copy to the Office of Human Resources. The request should state the reason for the leave, anticipated start date for the leave and length requested. Please note that if both parents are employed at the University, they are entitled to a combined total of 13 weeks of leave.

Leave Time and Time Off

Sick: Non-probationary, full-time staff members are allowed one sick day for each month of service. Employees who work during the academic year but not in the summer are allowed sick time at the same accrual rate, but only for actual months worked. Non-probationary, part-time staff are allowed prorated sick days. Sick hours are accrued and credited biweekly.

Vacation: Vacation time is determined by your date of hire. Non-probationary, full-time staff receive the following (based on years of service): Less than five years - 15 vacation days per year, five or more years - 20 vacation days per year.

Vacation time is accrued and credited biweekly. Non-probationary, part-time staff members who work at least 20 hours per week and those who work less than five days per week receive prorated vacation time. Staff members who are considered "academic employees" with schedules that correspond with the school calendar (i.e. no work during spring or intersession break) do not accrue vacation days.

Eligible employees may accrue up to a maximum amount of one year's worth of accruals. Once the maximum accrual limit is reached, employees must use vacation time in order to continue accruing.

Personal: Non-probationary staff receive the following personal days each fiscal year based on years of service:

  • Less than 20 years of service - 2 personal days
  • More than 20 years of service - 4 personal days

These days may not accumulate from one fiscal year to the next.

Time off should be requested in advance with your supervisor by submitting a leave request through the electronic timesheet system on My Salve.

Staff members receive up to three days of paid leave upon the death of a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, child, parent-in-law, daughter/son-in-law or grandchild. One day of leave is allowed to attend the funeral of an aunt, uncle, grandparent, niece or nephew, or brother/sister-in-law. You are expected to arrange funeral leave directly with your supervisor.

Employees may use their accrued sick leave to care for a family member. Per the Rhode Island Healthy and Safe Families and Workplace Act, family member is defined as child, parent, spouse, mother-in-law, father-in-law, grandparents, grandchildren, domestic partner, sibling, care recipient or member of the employee's household. Please note that the definition of family member here differs from other University policies.


Yes. If interested, you may complete an employee authorization for new direct deposit form and return it to the Payroll Office. If you prefer, you may also update your direct deposit information through your My Salve account under "Banking Information."

For a change of address, please email HR will inform the applicable insurance carriers, however, you will need to notify TIAA.