The Misto Gatehouse houses the Office of Arts and Sciences. The former gardener's cottage for Catherine Lorillard Wolfe's sprawling Vinland estate, the property was acquired by Salve Regina in 1955. In 2014, it was named for Sister Leona Misto, the University's vice president for mission integration.
Conceptualized by the famed architectural firm of Peabody & Stearns, the deep red sandstone exterior matches that of the main house. Designed in the Richardsonian Romanesque style, the structure's turrets, gables and wrought-iron lanterns presented a storybook welcome as guests entered the sweeping curve of Vinland's driveway.
- Office of Arts and Sciences
Just the Facts
Building Type: Academic