A hub for student activities, Wakehurst also houses classrooms and faculty offices. On the first floor is the Global Cafe, a video game lounge and the fireplace lounge, where many campus events are held. The lower level is home to the bicycle loan program, student mailroom, the Office of Student Activities and a lounge featuring pool, foosball, air hockey, ping-pong and a big-screen TV.
The second floor features classrooms, a club resource room, the Office of Community Service, the Student Government Association, Campus Activities Board, Willow and Mosaic offices and a study lounge. The third floor houses offices for the Department of Music, Theatre and Dance.
Built for renowned anglophile James J. Van Alen and completed in 1887, Wakehurst was conceptualized by British architect Charles Eamer Kempe and constructed by local architect Dudley Newton. An exact replica of an Elizabethan manor house in England, Wakehurst is distinguished by its geometric detail. Formal gardens designed by landscape architect Ernest Bowditch recall the green serenity of an English country estate.
Salve Regina acquired Wakehurst from the Van Alen family in 1972. In 2000, the White House Millennium Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation designated Wakehurst an official project of the Save America's Treasures program.
Just the Facts
Building Type: Student