Salve Regina's central administration building, Ochre Court houses the Office of the President, the Business Office and the Office of Financial Aid, among others. Concerts, student dances, lectures and special functions are held on the first floor throughout the year.
Designed by Richard Morris Hunt, America's foremost architect of the late 19th century, Ochre Court was commissioned by New York banker and real estate magnate Ogden Goelet as his family's summer residence. It was the Goelet family's gift of Ochre Court in 1947 that allowed the Sisters of Mercy to open Salve Regina College.
For the mansion's exterior, Hunt drew his inspiration from the late medieval period in French architecture, installing high roofs, turrets, whimsical gargoyles and tall chimneys. Inside, he used details from French Gothic chateaux and churches to create a great hall, ground floor reception rooms and private family rooms.
In 2000, the White House Millennium Council and the National Trust for Historic Preservation designated Ochre Court an official project of the Save America's Treasures program.
© 2013 Salve Regina University
100 Ochre Point Avenue | Newport, RI 02840-4192
Phone: (401) 847-6650