Our French curriculum covers grammar and composition, and also explores culture and civilization by examining French literature within its social, historical and cultural context. Additionally, courses in linguistics enhance students' language knowledge and skills. Majors are required to spend at least one semester studying in a French-speaking country.
To earn the bachelor’s degree, students take a minimum of 11 courses (33 credits).
- FRN205: Intermediate French I
- FRN206: Intermediate French II
- FRN241: Communication and Cultures I
- FRN242: Communication and Cultures II
- FRN305: French Culture and Civilization or FRN306: Cultures of the Francophone World
- FRN311: Survey of French Literature I
- FRN312: Survey of French Literature II
Students choose four additional electives in French at or above FRN245, with at least one course at or above FRN399. Students are required to take at least one French course during their senior year.