Our special education curriculum readies students to apply for Rhode Island teacher certification in grades kindergarten through 8 for mild/moderate special needs.
The major in special education can only be taken as a double major with elementary education. Students cannot major only in special education, and students majoring in early childhood education or secondary education cannot double major in special education. To earn the degree, elementary education majors take a minimum of nine additional courses (34 credits).
- Introduction to the Characteristics of Students With Exceptionalities
- Language Development and Communication Problems of Children
- Curriculum, Methodology and Assessment for Students With Mild/Moderate Needs in the Early Grades
- Curriculum, Methodology and Assessment for Students With Mild/Moderate Needs in the Middle Grades
- Assessment Procedures for Children With Disabilities
- Principles and Procedures for Behavior and Classroom Management
- Collaboration: Home, School and Community
- Student Teaching in Special Education
- Student Teaching Seminar