The President's House, formerly the carriage house and stables for William Watts Sherman's estate, has served as the president's residence since 1994 and was previously used as a student residence. Designed by architect Henry Hobson Richardson, this Queen Anne-style structure combines English, German and American Colonial influences.
Completed in 1875, the President's House was enlarged by Dudley Newton shortly after Sherman married his second wife in the late 1880s. The rose garden, moved here from the Fairholme estate, is a favorite gathering place for president's receptions.
Just the Facts
Building Type: Administrative