Federal financial aid applicants must complete and submit the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
- The FAFSA must be filed for each academic year (July 1 to June 30)
- The federal school code for Salve Regina is 003411
You may sign the FAFSA electronically using a PIN you receive from the Department of Education. You can apply for a PIN while completing the FAFSA online, or you can click here to apply. If you do not have a PIN, be sure to print, sign and mail the signature page to the federal processor.
Federal student loan update for graduate students:
Beginning July 1, 2012, federal graduate student loans will be unsubsidized only, with an interest rate of 6.8 percent, which begins accrual on disbursement of the loan.
The Department of Education may select you for a process called verification. Should you be selected for verification, you will be required to submit the following documents directly to the Office of Financial Aid. You may access the required forms from the forms library on our website.
- A completed, signed Verification Worksheet for Independent Students.
- Successful completion of the IRS Data Retrieval process. Using the IRS Data Retrieval Tool, you must correct your completed FAFSA by linking with the IRS website and transferring your filed tax return information into your FAFSA.
- We highly recommend you use this tool, as it is the easiest and best way of ensuring your FAFSA has accurate tax information.
- If you are not eligible to use this tool, or choose not use it, you must request a tax return transcript from the IRS to be mailed to you, the tax filer. You should keep a copy for your records, and send a copy to the Office of Financial Aid.
- Documentation of child support paid (if applicable).
- Documentation of Supplemental Nutritional Assistance Program (SNAP) (if applicable).
- Additional information as necessary.
Please see our Verification Procedures page for detailed information on this new process.
In addition to the annual forms, the following documents need to be completed only once.
After Your Financial Aid File is Complete
You must inform the Office of Financial Aid in writing or via e-mail when registering for each enrollment period. Once all paperwork and forms are submitted and you are registered for the acceptable amount of credits, your financial aid counselor will calculate your loan eligibility for that enrollment period and send an award letter after the drop/add period. It is important to review this award as soon as possible.
If you wish to decline or reduce any loans, you must change the amount on your award letter, initial the change and promptly return the form to the Office of Financial Aid. If you do not inform us of any change, we will process your loan(s) for the amount indicated on your award.
You must be registered at least half time (4.5 credits) to be eligible for federal financial aid. (Doctoral candidates enrolled in the dissertation research and writing course qualify as at least half time.) If you are taking a summer session along with fall/spring semester classes, please notify the Office of Financial Aid to determine your financial aid eligibility for summer classes. If your class schedule changes (withdrawing from or adding a class), you need to contact the Office of Financial Aid promptly.
Students may pursue graduate degrees on either a full-time or part-time basis. Full-time graduate students take at least three and no more than four courses (nine to 12 credits) in a degree program each semester; half-time students take six credits. Students employed full-time are advised to register for no more than two courses (six credits) each semester. Students are also advised to register for no more than one course each summer session. Full-time status during the summer session is six credits while half-time status is three credits. All graduate courses are three credits unless otherwise noted.
Salve Regina University reserves the right to request additional information as necessary to determine the type and amount of financial aid awards. Awards are subject to the availability of funding and the regulations governing these funds.